Asthma is a heterogeneous, chronic lung disease driven by both genetic and environmental factors [1,2]. The current study investigated the involvement of circular RNA (circRNA) in asthma, in particular allergic asthma mediated by CD4+ T cells, and its potential diagnostic and therapeutic value [1,3,4].
Patients with asthma (n=83) and healthy controls (n=54) were included . The circRNA hsa_circ_0002594 previously identified by microarray to be upregulated in samples from CD4+ T cells of asthmatic patients (fold change ≥4.3)  was further assessed in the current study. Here, hsa_circ_0002594 levels were significantly increased in CD4+ T cells from asthmatic patients (P<0.0001) as assessed by qRT-PCR . Hsa_circ_0002594-high asthma was characterised by several clinical indicators of Th2-mediated allergic asthma, including an upregulation in patients with a family history of asthma (P=0.025) or in patients with a positive skin pricking test (P=0.025), higher expression in T helper (Th)2-high versus Th2-low patient subgroups (P=0.014), and a positive correlation with FeNO (r=0.33; P=0.002). When investigating the therapeutic response, hsa_circ _0002594 levels were decreased after 4 weeks of inhaled corticosteroids treatment (P<0.0001). Regarding the diagnostic value of hsa_circ_0002594 in the presence of inhaled corticosteroids, an area-under-the-curve value of 0.7671 was observed (P<0.0001).
The upregulation of hsa_circ_0002594 in CD4+ T cells of allergic asthma and the differences in clinical and therapeutic indicators suggest that hsa_circ_0002594 plays a proinflammatory role in Th2-mediated allergic asthma and might have potential value in the diagnosis and treatment of Th2-mediated allergic asthma .
Huang Z, Fu B, Qi X, Xu Y, Mou Y, Zhou M, Cao Y, Wu G, Xie J, Zhao J, Wang Y, Xiong W. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Value of Hsa_circ_0002594 for T Helper 2-Mediated Allergic Asthma. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2020 Dec 16:1-11. doi: 10.1159/000511612. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33326955.
- Huang Z, et al. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Value of Hsa_circ_0002594 for T Helper 2-Mediated Allergic Asthma. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2020 Dec 16:1-11.
- Wang Y, et al. Role of C/EBP homologous protein and endoplasmic reticulum stress in asthma exacerbation by regulating the IL-4/signal transducer and activator of transcription 6/ transcription factor EC/IL-4 receptor α positive feedback loop in M2 macrophages. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017; 140(6):1550–61.e8.
- Romagnani S. Immunologic influences on allergy and the TH1/TH2 balance. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004; 113(3):395–400.
- Craig TJ. Aeroallergen sensitization in asthma: prevalence and correlation with severity. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2010; 31(2):96–102.
- Huang Z, et al. Hsa_circ_0005519 increases IL-13/IL-6 by regulating hsa-let-7a-5p in CD4. Clin Exp Allergy. 2019; 49(8):1116–27.