Asthma is a heterogeneous, chronic lung disease driven by both genetic and environmental factors [1,2]. The current study investigated the involvement of circular RNA (circRNA) in asthma, in particular allergic asthma mediated by CD4+ T cells, and its potential diagnostic and therapeutic value [1,3,4].
Patients with asthma (n=83) and healthy controls (n=54) were included . The circRNA hsa_circ_0002594 previously identified by microarray to be upregulated in samples from CD4+ T cells of asthmatic patients (fold change ≥4.3)  was further assessed in the current study. Here, hsa_circ_0002594 levels were significantly increased in CD4+ T cells from asthmatic patients (P<0.0001) as assessed by qRT-PCR . Hsa_circ_0002594-high asthma was characterised by several clinical indicators of Th2-mediated allergic asthma, including an upregulation in patients with a family history of asthma (P=0.025) or in patients with a positive skin pricking test (P=0.025), higher expression in T helper (Th)2-high versus Th2-low patient subgroups (P=0.014), and a positive correlation with FeNO (r=0.33; P=0.002). When investigating the therapeutic response, hsa_circ _0002594 levels were decreased after 4 weeks of inhaled corticosteroids treatment (P<0.0001). Regarding the diagnostic value of hsa_circ_0002594 in the presence of inhaled corticosteroids, an area-under-the-curve value of 0.7671 was observed (P<0.0001).
The upregulation of hsa_circ_0002594 in CD4+ T cells of allergic asthma and the differences in clinical and therapeutic indicators suggest that hsa_circ_0002594 plays a proinflammatory role in Th2-mediated allergic asthma and might have potential value in the diagnosis and treatment of Th2-mediated allergic asthma .
Huang Z, Fu B, Qi X, Xu Y, Mou Y, Zhou M, Cao Y, Wu G, Xie J, Zhao J, Wang Y, Xiong W. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Value of Hsa_circ_0002594 for T Helper 2-Mediated Allergic Asthma. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2020 Dec 16:1-11. doi: 10.1159/000511612. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33326955.
- Huang Z, et al. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Value of Hsa_circ_0002594 for T Helper 2-Mediated Allergic Asthma. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2020 Dec 16:1-11.
- Wang Y, et al. Role of C/EBP homologous protein and endoplasmic reticulum stress in asthma exacerbation by regulating the IL-4/signal transducer and activator of transcription 6/ transcription factor EC/IL-4 receptor α positive feedback loop in M2 macrophages. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017; 140(6):1550–61.e8.
- Romagnani S. Immunologic influences on allergy and the TH1/TH2 balance. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004; 113(3):395–400.
- Craig TJ. Aeroallergen sensitization in asthma: prevalence and correlation with severity. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2010; 31(2):96–102.
- Huang Z, et al. Hsa_circ_0005519 increases IL-13/IL-6 by regulating hsa-let-7a-5p in CD4. Clin Exp Allergy. 2019; 49(8):1116–27.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.